Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:59:09 +0000

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 16:30 +0000, Tom Chance wrote:
> Incidentally, if you are connected to any libraries, including those in
> schools and universities, you can help get the magazine distributed. They
> need a few hundred subscribers for the venture to be financially viable. Just
> email them if you can help.

I wonder why they don't sublicense it out - $12 is a fair amount of
money even if the dollar is fairly cheap, and to charge Europeans more
than US seems mad (I thought they were Italian?!)

If they sublicensed, maybe franchised printing nationally, that would
seem a better way to get off the ground quickly - there a loads of
printers in this country who can do one-off runs of this type (search
for 'catalogue printer' or similar). I guess it depends on how many
subscribers they have initially though - I'm presuming they want to do
one world-wide run in the States and take the hit on airmail/subs fees.
Even splitting continents would be good though - if the mag were €7
PAYG, I would almost certainly subscribe.

That said, the electronic pricing is much more sensible, $3 a PDF I can
live with. It would be interesting to know how many electronic
subscribers they would need to finance stuff though; I'm guessing there
isn't a whole lot of margin there.

Cheers.