Re: [Fsfe-uk] Introduction ...and school networks

From: MgtDee
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Introduction ...and school networks
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:03:37 EST

I am an ICT coordinator in a school
We use MS server 2000 and W2000, MS Office and also Open Office. We do not use RM and after discovering the cost in my first year in this job, of upgrading Viglen's Classlink software, I have tried to avoid relying on software which would tie us to a particular supplier. At the moment we use Sentinel's Rangersuite software to provide profiles, security etc. I can see that it is just a front end for active directory but it is straightforward and user friendly (and so are they) but it only supports MS operating systems. Last term we got a CD server that uses LINUX but our network manager (who left last November) was rather afraid of it, and decided it didn't work. It is still sitting there looking cute and doing nothing.
We are looking for a new network manager and I would love to find someone who would be able to keep our existing system running but would be able to help us move away from our current reliance on MS the next time we upgrade. I think we have to teach the kids to use MS because of its prevalence but unless we teach other options in schools no one will ever be free of MS's stanglehold.
It is not easy though to implement alternatives. It has been difficult to find technicians to look after our current system, the last one was just marking time until he could get back into industry. Where would I look for someone with open source expertise? Someone who could see beyond MS?

I would very much like to move towards using more open source software, but I need help. Where do I find it?

Margaret Derrington

PS We also have a wireless Bromcom network for registrations. <shame> It was put in very fast with money that was available only for that purpose (!?) and I knew nothing about it or what it cost (!!!!!) until afterwards.