Re: [Fsfe-uk] UKPatentOffice Workshops

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] UKPatentOffice Workshops
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:12:52 +0000

James wrote:
> What sort of qualitative comments did people make about the definitions?
> Were the UKPO making a note of such comments ?

Comments were directed towards how clear the definitions were and
how easy they were to apply. Whether we thought they were correct
was very much a last-placed concern.

UKPO were noting comments on a flip-pad, I believe. It was behind
me, so I don't have notes, nor any comment on general accuracy. I
think it had been cleared away by the time I got the camera out. I
only just got snaps of two answer grids before they were taken
down. Sorry.

It's http://www.patent.gov.uk/about/ippd/issues/cii.pdf

> If you could post the list of case examples to the web, that would I
> think be very useful too.

The ones we saw were 1 traffic lights, 6 transport fleet management,
11 ASIC manufacture, 12 online game prediction, 13 mobile phone demand
prediction. I'm reluctant to copy the pages stamped as Copyright The
Patent Office without clear permission. I know they're reading this:
UKPO, can I have permission and why don't you put contact details
on the workbook?

Maybe the copyright stamp is to stop people knowing about this in
advance. What are they worried about? Participant registration is
closed. The worst that can happen is that people might have thought
about some of the cases for more than the hour in the event. I'm
pretty sure at least one of the legal types there intends to pass
copies to friends before other workshops anyway.

Thanks for relaying info from FFII's uk-parl. I disagree with
the false security of the archives there. It's bad enough
"the other side" work in the dark. I notice it's linked on
http://wiki.ffii.org/SwpatcninoEn now, so can we discuss in public?

I've had comments forwarded to me that we should have "revolted"
earlier. Maybe we didn't handle this in the best way. That's why
I'm putting notes out: those who follow can stand on our shoulders...

--
MJR
http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/swpatws200503/