Re: [Fsfe-uk] What should AFFS do now?

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] What should AFFS do now?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:51:13 +0000

On Monday 21 March 2005 19:36, MJ Ray wrote:
> Is there something that you think AFFS should be doing now?
> ctte will meet on Wednesday, so now would be a good time to
> suggest anything, ask for things or offer help, on or off-list.

I think we could really use simple, solid argument pages that explain various
positions Free Software folks generally hold.  For example:

* Why free software should be preferred by governments
   -  ensuring future freedom of citizens' data
   -  maximum value for money
   -  guaranteed shareability of software across departments, international
bodies, etc.
   -  etc...

* Why open protocols are important
   - ...

And all that sort of stuff.  Actually, not a lot of issues are in my head
right now, but I often feel like we could deal with organisations making bad
decisions a lot better if only we had well thought out arguments ready to
send as the need arises.

Also, since Hurd/L4 is starting to function, it might be nice to give that
project a boost somehow, if we could.  Promotion, or encouraging other kernel
groups to write cross-platform code that Hurd can use, or something?  I don't
know.

--
Lee.