Re: [Fsfe-uk] EP rejects Software Patent Directive, 648 to 14, 18 absten

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EP rejects Software Patent Directive, 648 to 14, 18 abstentions
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:23:41 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Philip Hunt wrote:

> > Strasbourg, 6 July 2005 -- The European Parliament today decided by
> > a margin of 648 votes to 14, with 18 absentions, to _reject_ the
> > directive "on the patentability of computer implemented inventions",
> > also known as the software patent directive.
>
> Such a big majority!

Apparently the pro-patent lobby asked for a no vote as well - in their
case because the amendments would have made patents unusable for them.

The problem is not solved however as national patent offices may now push
the pro-patent lobbies agenda locally.

We might have been better with a directive that had been properly amended
than to have no directive at all.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/    2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month