Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:14:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Chris Croughton wrote:

> Well, 'we' gave the government the ability to block our fiddling with
> them many years ago, when 'we' allowed them to say whether a customised
> car was roadworthy or not.  The same as 'we' allowed then to say that we
> can't repair the wiring in our own houses any more.  And part of the
> reason is because of the few who messed with them and caused trouble
> (burning down the house because they rewired it incorrectly, causing
> accidents with improperly maintained cars, etc.).  The vast majority of
> people are not qualified to do those things safely (most people can't
> even wire a mains plug safely).

That people make such rediculous statements as your last one is how govt's
are able to pass such stupid laws.

Wiring a plug is easy and new plugs even come with a colour guide to match
the avaialble wiring (red/black and /brown/blue/green&yellow).

Those who are unable to rewire a house don't try to do so. Those who are
more confident of their abilities will tend to use a qualified electrician
anyway. Those who are so stupid as to do it when they cannot will simply
ignore legislation.

> > I agree with this. "tivo"isation is a bad word. Why not "neutering"?
>
> 'Locking'?

Neither fully describes the problem. I agree that branding the issue
doesn't help however.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG                       Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/             up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98