Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought
Date: 19 Dec 2006 22:18:14 +0000

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:
> If I end up as a user of a medical computer (which
> seems likely at some point), then am I no longer deserving of free
> software's freedoms as much as possible?

It's not that you're not deserving of them, it's just that physical access
is something that the licence probably can't and probably shouldn't try to
secure for you.

GPlv3 doesn't secure physical access, so that's one way manufacturers can
still prevent modification (although this is quite different from
tivoisation because the manufacturer also gives up network access).  When it
is right and wrong for manufacturers to do this is another question.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by