Re: [Fsfe-uk] Online Petitions

From: Jocelyn Chappell
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Online Petitions
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:35:19 +0000

Dave,

Thank you for your comments.

The difference between e-petitions and petitions as we always knew them is an interesting philisophical question.

I like your suggestion to incorporate petitioners into an online community to stay in touch with the issue. I note petitions.gov.pm.uk works now and the alternative you propose would add some complexity to a relatively simple system and therefore might discourage some teachers who would otherwise sign-up. Never the less setting up a petition system that is independent of:
+ the petitioned
+ the petitioners, and
+ the issues represented
would be a really interesting project I would like to be involved with.

It seems to me there is just as much work involved in running a successful e-petition on the pm.gov.uk site as its paper counterpart - except I am not sure how successful this one is yet. Similarly I spent as much effort writing an email to my MP as I would have writing a letter to bring the corresponding Early Day Motion (EDM 179) to his attention. It was worth it - he now supports the campaign.

It does seem petitions.pm.gov.uk being relatively new hits the headlines regularly at the moment. This must bring some credibility to the process in the eyes of those less computer oriented whom we would never-the-less want to encourage to sign our petition(s).

As you can see I am an advocate for and a practioner of the opposite of the lazy approach, that is I seek "by all possible means to save some." [http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=by+all+means&qs_version=31]

Regards,

Joc