Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 22:09:34 +0000

Andy wrote:
On 30/12/2007, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
 >> Here, Here. In fact one of the things I think we should be doing is
lobbying BBC, ITV & C4 about "Kangaroo", so they can jump in while
they have the chance and design it using Free Software.

I asked the FSFE about why they didn't do much (if anything) about
iPlayer originally, apparently they have limited funds and this is not
a priority.

I do think this is a shame. From the number of replies to this post i think it is quite obvious that many people from the UK in the Free Software community care passionately about this.

The only way the BBC will ever use Free Software for iPlayer or it's
successors will be if it is forced by regulators to do so. That is the
only reason you can watch anything at all on a non-windows system
because the BBC Trust forced the BBC to do so.

I don't think this is the case really. I think they *would* do something if they had more of a choice and more importantly if they were more aware that we thought this was a big issue prior to them developing the software.

Unfortunately the Trust and Ofcom have done nothing.

It is unfortunate.

So basically we haven't got a chance in hell without government
intervention. And Gordon Brown said he isn't going to do anything
about this.

Possibly. One MP who is a Free Software supporter is the MP for Loughborough, Andy Reed (www.andyreedmp.org.uk). He is a labour MP, which in the current political climate, is an advantage, what ever your political affiliation - I am a Green. I spoke to him recently (he is not my MP) in london at a conference and he was very much a free software advocate. I think we should approach him and ask him what his opinion about the iplayer is and talk to him in detail about how it is affecting things etc.

> Such a pity that Freedom in the UK was destroyed so quickly an no-one
> batted an eyelid.

I wouldn't Say no-one. I am quite proud to have been one of those at the Manchester iplayer DRM protest, and I can certainly say that there are lot of people with strong feelings on the subject by looking at this thread.

Personally I would be all for giving "kangaroo" the same treatment.

To me it doesn't matter whether licence payers are forced to pay or not, if it is a public service it should be DRM free, what ever the medium.

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk
----