Re: [Fsfe-uk] Renting GPL software (legal forms)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Renting GPL software (legal forms)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:14:14 +0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 00:56 +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
> > any other ltd company contractors on the list..?
>
> (I work for a Ltd., but I'm not a contractor)

You have no contracts? ;-)

Anyway, the point was well-made: legal form and company type are linked
but one doesn't define the other.  We hit this when starting AFFS (the
current association was meant as a temporary form while sorting
ourselves out) as you can read around the time of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-uk/2001-12/msg00014.html
if you feel like seeing our birth pains.  Would AFFS be better as a
CIC today?

> [...] Indeed, I think some Co-ops are set up as Ltd. companies.

Indeed they are.  Model rules and guides at
http://www.cooperatives-uk.coop/Services/memberBenefits/legalServices/co-operatives/register
http://www.radicalroutes.org.uk/content/view/16/45/
or your local Cooperative Development Body.

> [...] - particularly, where there is no
> need/availability of investment, there don't seem to be any good reasons
> why you shouldn't try it.

As I understand it, cooperatives *can* have outside funding, but only
pay a limited rate of interest (usually linked to bank rates) on
capital invested, rather than the potentially x000% return if you get
lucky with a shareholding.  TTLLP isn't seeking more funding, so it
doesn't pay any interest at present, but I think we could if we needed
investment.  Actually, we might be able to access cooperative-based
funds like Cooperative & Community Finance and Rootstock too.

Regards,