Re: Freedom to take freedom (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accountants need MS...)

From: rob
Subject: Re: Freedom to take freedom (was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accountants need MS...)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:13:18 +0000

Quoting Lee Braiden <address@hidden>:

For instance, I for one think it would be a good thing to restrict the right
to use my software for military purposes.  I also think the GPLv3
anti-tivoisation measure, and the Affero measures are both good ideas.

These don't compare for a very simple reason. Anti-military restrictions are not "reflexive"; they don't just prevent harm against the freedom to use software.

Software used by the military will be used for disaster relief or to defend against invading armies or prevent genocide. And the software that the military creates or extends can be used by those who oppose over-reaching militarism to further their own cause. So opposing military use of software is not a clear-cut ethical good.

Which isn't to say that supporting it is either in a general ethical sense outside of software freedom.

- Rob.