[Fsfe-uk] Re: Kernel hacker cooperatives?

From: Davi Leal
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Kernel hacker cooperatives?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:20:16 +0000 (UTC)

Alex Hudson <home <at> alexhudson.com> writes:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > I saw some press from 2001 about freedevelopers.net, such as
> > http://linuxpr.com/releases/2633.html
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/9617
> > but I can't find them now.  Does anyone know what happened?
>
> My hazy recollection is that Tony Stanco - the guy who drove fd.net -
> eventually fell out with the CEO of fd.net, RMS, and he went off and did
> eGovOs.

About the "community company" idea, I have email archives almost since the
fd.net announcement. My understanding is the below:

1. fd.net announced by Tony Stanco.

1.1 Tony does not grant access to the fd.net server, etc., etc.

   "I think that the _free_ developers are the one that must have
    the web access. Tony, if you had paying attention what happens
    with Ricard, etc. you would have ...  Are you the same guy that
    wrote the below paragraph: ?

    Tony Stanco wrote:
     I am still waiting to see if the FreeDevelopers members
     can self-organize themselves into a functioning democratic
     company. That means people should not be waiting for others
     to lead (including me), but should lead themselves to
     wherever they intend to go."

1.2 Some guys opened a fd.net private discuss email list, and got
   the below conclusion:
       Tony Stanco's lack of ethic killed the fd.net project.

   "There is some movement in the FD list pressing to Tony so as to
    give access to the FD host. [...]"

2. The _association_ idea, one member one vote, raised to avoid
   such situations. The idea got the below name:
     GNU Herds - Free Software Association

   GNU Herds was initially hosted at 25thandclement.com
   The public email archive is lost. I have only a private copy.

2.1 LPI.org tries to 'copy' the GNU Herds job site idea, but the
   LPI's call to the community to develop a job site to be managed
   by LPI fails. Now it is just this:
http://lpi.org/en/lpi/english/join_us/open_source_professional_resource_enablement

2.2 GNU Herds project using Savannah for CVS/Git and development lists
   My PC for HTTP/PostgreSQL and association list. Trying to move
   the services hosted at my PC to the FSF server.

   RMS accepts the GNU Herds project:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-12/msg00025.html

   The migration to the FSF hosts start:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2008-01/msg00021.html

   As GNU Herds' second phases, the Cooperatives' network idea is
   being analyzed by MJ and others.

Regards,
Davi