Re: Merits of why biz switches - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: Merits of why biz switches - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:31:17 +0100

On 28/01/2008, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
>  >
>  > Security, reliability and zero acquisition costs are caused by
>  > software freedom.
>
> My point was that I do not hear any businesses championing these
>  points. they are interested in low-cost, ease of use and reliability
>  and that is all.

I hear businesses championing the benefits of software freedom - in
low-cost, ease of use and reliability - but without recognizing where
they come from.

The dynamic was obvious with Oracle's marketing of support for CentOS.
If people dumped Red Hat for Oracle, where would CentOS 6 come from?
AIUI, businesses understood this and shunned Oracle's distro.

That dynamic applies more widely, I think :-)

--
Regards,
Dave