Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 13:42:22 +0000

I am in a similar situation to Marc. I joined AFFS at the LinuxExpo, but don't recall receiving any membership number or renewal reminder.

I did spend a little time helping on the AFFS stand, and had several discussions regarding the AFFS. It appeared to me at that time the AFFS was looking for a way to dispose of the subs in a way which can best help free software in general. It appears this hasn't actually happened.

Without people willing to actually carry out functions of supporting free software in the UK under the aegis of the AFFS, then it appears to me the overhead of managing an organisation structured like the AFFS is a diversion of resources away from anything useful.

The AFFS could still exist as a free-standing informal arrangement, or perhaps as an informal arrangement under the formal aegis of FSFE?

At the end of the day, unless we have someone who energetically wants to animate AFFS, then it is a space probably best left as a vacuum to be occupied by someone who has the time and energy to make things happen, with those who have ever been a member, or expressed interest, being invited to this list, which can be the remaining manifestation of AFFS.

If the notional functions of the AFFS become the domain of FSFE, then perhaps the remaining money should go there. It isn't a huge amount, and we shouldn't get bogged down by it.

Marc Eberhard wrote:
Dear John,

I have stopped paying my subscription to AFFS when it failed to invite
members to an AGM. As far as I remember it was a requirement for AFFS to
hold at least one annual meeting. So the situation might be really tricky in
legal terms. I also have not received any information from AFFS until August
2006 (when my postal address changed) and I have not received a confirmation
that my address update sent to address@hidden has been acted upon. I
have never received a reminder about outstanding subscription fees and I
never received a letter that my membership has come to an end. So, frankly,
I don't know if I'm still a member with outstanding fees or no member
anymore.

All the best,
Marc