Re: [Fsfe-uk] web-censorship amendment proposed

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] web-censorship amendment proposed
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:59:22 +0000 (GMT)

Glyn Wintle <address@hidden> wrote:
> The awful UK Digital Economy Bill is being debated in the House of
> Lords today, and it might just get more awful.
>
> An amendment that would open the door to nationally censoring entire
> websites by getting an injunction on claims of copyright
> infringement -- so YouTube or WordPress.com might disappear from the
> British Internet if someone makes a accusation of copyright
> infringement against them.
>
> http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/conservatives-and-lib-dems-push-web-blocking

On that website:

  "Will Tovey - Comment - Amdendment Passed
  Reply #1 on : Wed March 03, 2010, 17:24:06

  After an intense debate where the only person actually making any
  sense was the Earl of Erroll (who was pretty much ignored) an
  amendment that enables this change was passed. It looks like web
  blocking will now be in the bill rather than Clause 17. The vote was
  140-165.

  It seems that the Lib Dems and Conservatives have both shown their
  true colours. Supporting the big content providers over everyone else."

I've just flamed my local Lib Dem and may go for the Conservative
one later.  Anyone had any joy with their candidates?

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software