fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: The Return of The Basement

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: The Return of The Basement
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:21:58 +0000

Please see the attached e-mail about a meeting tonight which I'm hoping
many FSUK Manchester and remaining basement-it people can attend. I
won't be there myself, but I'm hoping others will!

As mentioned at the last FSUK meeting, the Basement Social Centre on
Lever Street used to have an LTSP cluster, maintained by the IT Working
Group. Since the Basement closed, the working group seems to have
collapsed, with various core members leaving Manchester, the wiki
disappearing and the mailing list becoming increasingly ropey.

I think it'd be really good to get the IT Working Group back up again,
and I think that the best way to do that is to get people from the
Manchester Free Software Users Group involved.

It's good for the Basement to have an LTSP cluster - people coming into
the Basement to use the computers will buy a coffee or pick up a leaflet
about a campaign. It's good for the FSUK group to have a practical and
publically-accessible working example of Free Software being used to
breathe new life into low-spec hardware and provide access to computing
facilities.

The Basement is already a place for people who care about issues of
politics, morals and ethics, so talking about software freedom is
entirely appropriate there.

I suggest that we use the FSF's savannah.nongnu.org to host a project
for the Basement IT Working Group; this would give us access to mailing
lists, wiki etc. without the problems of hosting and reliability that
plagued the ITWG in the past.

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>
Jabber: address@hidden

there will be an update on legal stuff and thate of 24 lever street and a chance to start deciding what we want from, and indeed if we want, the return of the basement

does manchester need a social centre? its up to you....

love
the basement collective

ps if you cant come tonight please get in touch and let us know what you think about the basement and what ideas, skills or anything else you can offer our resurrection xxx

The Basement
24 Lever Street
Northern Quarter
Manchester
M1 1DZ
0161 237 1832
address@hidden
www.basementmanchester.org.uk

To unsubscribe from this list please send an email to
address@hidden
http://basementmanchester.org.uk

--- End Message ---