fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Manchester Anarchist Bookfair, 7th June 2008
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:42:41 +0100

On 04/06/2008, Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:18:16AM +0100, Lucy wrote:
>  > However, I think the main problem is a lack of materials - I don't
>  > think it's going to be possible to get enough leaflets and cds done in
>  > time.
>

> Yes. ☹  I haven't got any CDs done.  Similar materials can be used for
>  the Infopoint (which is not going to happen this weekend unless my
>  vaguely Jesus‐like appearance owes me a miracle or two).  The Anarchist
>  Bookfair is a less regular event, so if people can make it I'd go for
>  that and look at starting the Infopoints later on.

I'm busy for the rest of this week and I don't have the facilities to
create that many leaflets/cds anyway. I'd be happy to work on a set of
proper leaflets for future use, but I think this Saturday will be
pushing it unless anyone else can create some?

>  > Also, (prepares for flaming) I'd be unwilling to distribute just
>  > gNewSense CDs - for the target audience I think we'd need a pile of
>  > OpenCDs and a easy-to-use distro like Ubuntu too.
>

> "easy-to-use" is a matter of opinion ☺

Yes, that's true. I tend to forget about the other distributions a
bit. How about it's the most popular so most likely to get support
from the gnu/linux community? ;)

>  Anyway, I wouldn't just go for gNewSense.  It's a bit limiting and not
>  very open minded to think that this is the only distribution for us to
>  distribute.  In my opinion, even if Ubuntu promotes non‐free software,
>  it promotes free software too, and more so.  I plan to burn at least a
>  selection of Debian, gNewSense, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE.

Actually, for the book fair at least (I don't know how techy the
people at the computer markets are), I think that that many choices
are too overwhelming for introducing new people. I think that if we
just provide OpenCD, Ubuntu and gNewSense we have three levels of
freedom that can cater for three different levels of
expertise/bravery.