fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Scouting for Free Software? (was: Young people & free

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Scouting for Free Software? (was: Young people & free software)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:52:04 +0100

Tim Dobson wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Tim Dobson wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what "existing" groups you would suggest working with;
> > > presumably youth groups and the scouts/guides etc.
> > I was thinking youth groups and clubs around education institutions.
> So essentially "computer clubs"?

Not necessarily, but there are probably some of those too.

> > Maybe the scouts, guides, woodcraft folk and religious groups with
> > interests in sharing might be approachable, but I don't remember them
> > being particularly able to form subgroups.
>
> I imagine if people wanted to do something a way would be found,
> however I'm not sure this is the best use of our resources.

I've just seen discussion of the Boy Scouts of America Open Source
Initiative (BSAOSI) http://opensource.scouting.org/

Ultimately, if Free Software supporters don't support such groups,
someone else will, and they're likely to ignore free software.  For
example, BSAOSI define Open Source as "open to review, adheres to open
standards, and is open for use by others" which I think means that
lots of non-free software is Open Source to them...

It looks like this idea didn't reach the recent meeting
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsuk-manchester/2008-06/msg00058.html
- was it discussed there or is it dead?

--
MJ Ray (slef)