fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:55:07 +0100

On 26/06/2008, Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tim Dobson wrote:
> > Therefore is it absolutely necessary to mention GNU/Linux in the mission
> statement? In my opinion, it probably isn't -I don't proposing ignoring
> GNU/Linux by any menns but I don't think we should favour it over
> GNU/OpenSolaris, GNU/BSD or even vanilla BSD or vanilla OpenSolaris or any
> other free software operating system.
> >
> > Manchester *free software* group
> > It's all in the name.
> >
> > --
> >
> > try not to be too abusive when you disagree with me ;) :)
> >

>  Luckily for you, I agree! ;)
>
>  The GNU/Linux bit did seem to grate a bit to me when I was reading it. And
> the statement doesn't mention copyleft
> <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html> software.
> Perhaps the GNU/Linux part was meant elude to that? So what about this

Hmm, I think I disagree :)

Awareness of Linux is growing and a lot of more experienced computer
users have probably heard of the name, whereas copyleft is something
that even a lot of experienced GNU/Linux users have not heard of. I
also think that it's something that we should be promoting.

We are different from a (G)LUG because of the emphasis on free
software rather than GNU/Linux and I think/hope that the mission
statement shows that.

But to decrease the emphasis on GNU/Linux a bit, how about:

Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in the
Manchester area that focuses on free software, including GNU/Linux.
The group also covers topics which impact on the freedoms of computer
users, such as Digital Restrictions Management.