fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software

From: Chris Rogers
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] RMS on Swedish Pirate Party vs Free Software
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:34:47 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pater Mann" <address@hidden>

to give away the software that I develop? If I choose to give it away
(and I almost always do), that is my decision and I am happy to make
it but I should not be forced to do so.

It's a very valid point you make, Pater. Everyone has to eat. If writing software is your main occupation, rather than a sideline or hobby, it's reasonable to want some recompense.

The debate is well illustrated by the case of Pegasus Mail, which has always been a free download, although not Free or open source. David Harris, the author, has made his living for the last 15 years or so by selling manuals and support for the product, but has recently had to review his position because of his financial situation.

His open letters to his user community are at http://www.pmail.com/openletter.htm and http://www.pmail.com/sundry/pmlinux.htm and speak volumes.

I used Pegasus for several years and it would be shameful if it disappeared.

Chris