fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Anna Morris
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:10:53 +0000

Hi, thanks for all your replies, its really great and very helpfull : )

I had an idea about explaining the studying freedom and I wonder what
you thought...

without a free licence, trying to learn about the software is like
trying to learn about a sum when your teacher refuses to show you the
workings out... so all you can see is the answer.

_____
16
_____

In free software, the workings out will always be available to study

   1
+15
___
16
___

So even if you don't aren't sure if companies should be obliged to
show their workings out (its a novel idea for many) you must surely
agree that when the workings out are shown, students will learn
quicker, society will produce more and better at a faster rate.

I wondered what you thought of this? Do you think its a good analogy
of is it wrong?

Anna