ftpsync

Re: [Ftpsync] Backchecking ftpsync 1.3.07 release

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: [Ftpsync] Backchecking ftpsync 1.3.07 release
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:25:08 +0100

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Christoph Lechleitner
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> As You might have noticed I've introduced a FTPS variant, ftpsync-ssl,
> as "experimental" FTPS support.

Yes. I understand that the CPAN SSL module is a bitch. I am wondering
if we could include a working CPAN module with ftpsync, so that we
would use our own?

> Today I actually detected a server that actually needs a sleep between
> each PUT, and it even needs more than the 100ms You introduced recently.

How much delay did you need?

For the work I do the 100ms is hardly noticeable; the most of the time
is spent transferring. So even if it was higher I would not see it as
an issue.

I would much rather have the default configuration be stable and slow
than fast and unreliable.

> Therefore I introduced a new config parameter, slowmillis, which
> defaults to 100 your ms.

Fine.

> So now I'd actually like release ftpsync 1.3.07.

Go ahead.

> Is it ok if I stay with our deb.clazzes.org and download.clazzes.org for
> now?
> (In this case, I can release a debian package to deb.clazzes.org and a
> tarball release to http://download.clazzes.org/ftpsync/ within a few
> seconds.)

Yes.

Can we have http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftpsync/ point towards
http://www.gnu.org/software/ftpsync/ ? The content will be fixed when
FTPsync is GNU approved.

> In the long term, how can we fill http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ftpsync/ ?

I believe my upload procedure for GNU Parallel can be re-used. If you
want to do the upload you need to be an approved release at gnu.org,
so it might be easier if I just do that.

As I remember SSL was the major point in not getting approved as
official GNU tool. So with that in place I think we should aim for
next release be the first official GNU release (after approval).

> And, is there a debian repository at savannah which can be used?

Nope.

/Ole