g-wrap-dev

Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:04:14 +0200

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 18:29 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> 1) guile-gnome web pages don't explain that you need g-wrap:
>
>   http://home.gna.org/guile-gnome/dev/
>
> They should probably also mention that one needs Guile-Lib.

You're right about g-wrap, there should be a link there. Also, we need
to at least mention that the defs generator requires SLIB; the new
tarballs have a fairly explanatory error. guile-gnome itself doesn't
require guile-lib, and afaik g-wrap doesn't either, although it can take
its srfi modules from there instead of from in the tree.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty confused about our forking-paths-of-www. We
keep it in arch, but publish it to gna via cvs, and I totally forgot how
how that works. I'll poke around with it tomorrow.

> 2) arch info on page above was very nice.  I'm very used to CVS and
>    not yet an arch weenie, and I was able to check out the whole
>    multi-tree with no pain from the commands as given.
>    (It would be cool to give them in a cut/pastable shell script form,

Should be easy enough, and more helpful. I started on arch with this
project, so I understand the strangeness ;)

> If I weren't such a Scheme fan I would have given up and found other
> things to play with by now.

Thanks for sticking with us ;) The lisp/scheme world has a way of just
saying "aw, fuck it" and including everything into their own project
(cf. libxm in snd). Making libraries is a bit trickier at the beginning,
but it will pay off in the long run.

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>