g-wrap-dev

Re: unreleased g-wrap considered harmful

From: gregory benison
Subject: Re: unreleased g-wrap considered harmful
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:11:13 -0700

This seems like a good opportunity to add to the prodding...

On 4/20/07, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
The build of guile-gnome-platform 2.7.99 in pkgsrc is failing with
various problems that I think are due to gnome having moved since 2.7.99
was released, but I get the impression I can't update to 2.15.90 because
pkgsrc has, umm, the latest released g-wrap (1.9.6).  Does 2.15.90 need
1.9.6, as http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/dev/ says, or is it
before the jump into using unreleased dependencies.

Next week at the Experimental NMR conference, a meeting attended by
hundreds of scientists,  I'm demonstrating the program burrow-owl
(www.burrow-owl.org) which depends on guile-gnome and g-wrap.  I can't
drop back to guile-gnome 2.7.99, which means I have to depend on the
unreleased g-wrap.  For this reason I have taken to bundling g-wrap
with my own sources.  Of course, it would be better to simply depend
on the latest release.

Just wanted to re-emphasize that a release of g-wrap would be useful
for several people...

Gregory Benison
Oregon State University
gbenison at gmail dot com