gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] hosting Zipper on GAP

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] hosting Zipper on GAP
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:51:39 +0100

Hi,

while asking Dirk Olmes about the state of Zipper, and what plans he had, I
remembered having approached him with regard to Zipper about a year ago,
because of some little bugs, where I now have the patches in the OpenBSD ports
tree. That time he answered to look into it, but it seems he never got around
to do so. Knowing that, I politely offered him to host zipper on GAP.

It took him a while to answer, and to think about it. He said its unfurtunate,
and he has no idea whether he will work on it again.
On the other side he was really happy with the offer to give it a new home on
GAP.

Its a useful application, integrates nicely in GWorkspace, therefore it would
be a shame to leave it bitrotting.

I'd take care of it, creating a new page on GAP, importing it into CVS, and all
this stuff needed.

The only concern I have is with the License, it doesn't really have one. I'll
ask him whether we could license it as "GPLv2 or newer".
I'll approach him with this topic. I hope/guess he will be fine with that.

Where should it be imported into CVS? user-apps, system-apps?

cheers,
Sebastian