gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - ALSA backend

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - ALSA backend
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:42:06 +0200

Hi,

Philippe Roussel wrote:
Le 29/05/2012 06:59, Philippe Roussel a écrit :
Hi Riccardo,

Your patch looks fine to me, you should commit it.
I will test it tonight and report back.
I successfully tested the latest cvs version with the different sound
files you sent and some of my music. It looks good so far.
That is good. It doesn't solve the problem, but I think it goes in the right direction.

Looking at alsa documentation it's obvious the alsa backend is overly
simplistic, even if it works in most cases. The API provides functions
to determine what the harware is capable of for example, we could
probably use those to handle rare configurations. I will to propose
patches in the future, when I'll have more time.

Yes, I had that impression too, I looked at the alsa documentation to understand some parameters. I also checked around mailing lists. Apparently the ability to accept different sample rates is hardware-dependent. I got the impression though that "soft resample" should fix that. I am a bit confused. How can the backend know it needs to resample if I open it with a different rate (that is what most code I found around does and that is what I tried in the fall-back call I implemented).

We need to take 8bit vs 16bit in account, I'm pretty sure about that, this will affect potentially many backends, like the endianness change did.

Anyway, perhaps big changes need to be done after a release.. what we have is still much better than before.

On the same machine, the OSS backend works fine though. Since it is not real OSS, but alsa-oss emulation... The AO backend instead has endianness problems, MP3s play like garbage. MP3s need "native endianness".

Riccardo