gchempaint-main

Re: [Gchempaint-main] Compiling gchempaint CVS on ubuntu 8.04 beta

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [Gchempaint-main] Compiling gchempaint CVS on ubuntu 8.04 beta
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:46:23 +0200

e lundi 07 avril 2008 à 22:04 -0400, Etienne Lepercq a écrit :
> Hi everyone !
> First of all, I am a master student in micro-electronics, and already
> participated in some projects (but small participations).
> I would like to add a feature to gchempaint, described here :
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?21340
>
> For that, i downloaded cvs source code and tried to compile it.
> After several package -dev installation, I managed to find out that
> gcu-unstable was GNOME chemistry utils package, which is only in
> available in version 0.8.6 in ubuntu 8.04.
> I found the page
> http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/gchemutils/0.9/ and tried
> to compile it from source. I did not manage to do so, each time  linking
> operation can not be done. Example of error (for 0.9.0 here) :
> gtkperiodic.c:46: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before
> 'GtkTooltips'
> gtkperiodic.c: In function 'gtk_periodic_init':
> gtkperiodic.c:189: error: 'GtkPeriodic' has no member named 'tips'
>
> I suspect this from a "too old" library version, but I just can't
> compile the whole cvs gnome !
>
> So, I would like to have some help for first compiling gchempaint.
>
> Then, why not talking about an implmenetation of curves arrows in
> gchempaint ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Etienne Lepercq

You are welcome! You should try to compile the most recent code which is
in the gchemutils cvs tree. gchempaint is not anymore developed as a
separate project, so the HEAD gchempaint branch is unmaintained. 0.9.0
is also a bit old, many things have changed since then.
If you have any issue compiling gcu HEAD, please let me know, there are
so many experimental features that this might happen.

About the curved arrows, I agree it is an essential feature (I really
need them), but I intended to first replace the canvas used by
gchempaint. My idea was to wait until gtk+ includes a canvas, but
although the point has been discussed for a long while, there is still
nothing, so I (we?) might have to develop a simple cairo based canvas
for gchempaint.
If you prefer to implement the curved arrows using the gnome canvas, it
is still possible, but I'd like that rendering be made using cairo
instead of libart.

Thanks for your interest,
Jean