gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: please cleanup your scratch space on vore

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: please cleanup your scratch space on vore
Date: 19 Jun 2002 16:05:15 -0400

Greetings!  OK, in looking at some old posts on debian-sparc, I've
found the very helpful tip:

>Compiling the failing application with the gcc-flag "-Wcast-align" may
>detect some of these problems. (The compiler itself should not misalign
>things, so casting is usually a major suspect.)

>If the application casts byte arrays into struct types (for example to
>decode packet contents for some network protocol), it might also help to
>declare the struct types as packed, using "__attribute__((__packed__))".
>Apart from avoiding padding within the struct, this will alert the
>compiler that the struct members may be misaligned. Code accessing the
>struct members will then be compiled to handle that situation.

-Wcast-aligned gives many warnings for gcl.  Is there a way I can
 globally align everything on 8 byte boundaries without having to
 modify each offending variable declaration with __attribute__
 ((aligned))?

Take care,