gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: New Debian packages

From: Matt Kaufmann
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: New Debian packages
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:23:05 -0500

Hi, Camm --

I'll try take a look at your .deb stuff soon.  Please let me know if there is a
particular time when you need me to look at it (I've got a lot going on the
next week or two, but I'll fit it in then if you ask).

You're right that there has been one announced bugfix for ACL2 2.7, namely the
one at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/moore/acl2/v2-7/new.html.  But our
approach to such things is to post the patch but not to create minor version
releases.  We don't have the manpower to do them in a way that makes us
comfortable.  (I'm CCing J Moore in case he wants to chime in on this.)

So, I'd prefer that if you put up a new ACL2 2.7 debian release, you use the
ACL2 2.7 sources as they are, without the bug patch.  (I suppose that if there
is some "blessed" way to do patches in debian, where the user has to take the
step of applying them explicitly, then something like that would be fine.  All
I'm trying to do is avoid the existence of multiple versions of ACL2 2.7 where
people don't even realize that a patch has been applied.)

I'm hoping that we'll release ACL2 2.8 (which has a lot of changes) by the end
of this year, by the way.

Thanks --
-- Matt
   cc: address@hidden, address@hidden