gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] General GCL quesions

From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] General GCL quesions
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:18:31 +0100 (BST)

Quoting Camm Maguire <address@hidden>:

> >  In my experience the comments about GCL on c.l.l are
> > almost always negative. I am not really sure why. Sure
> > gcl has its problems, but no more or less then any
> > other FOSS implementation.

FOSS?

> I'm not really sure why this is either.  But I suspect that at least
> some component stems from the general attitude among lisp developers
> that public domain stuff is better than GNU-like licensed software.

I don't know what's been said in the last few years on c.l.l about
GCL, but back when I used to read it regularly, most of the nagative
comments seemed to be because it was a CLtL 1 implementation; but
usually this was from people who didn't use it and were arguing
for some other implementation.

> >  its not just an intention, camm and the guys have
> > been working very hard to get GCL complient. Right now
> > GCL passes the vast majority of the tests in the ansi
> > test suite.

What is "the ansi test suite"?  I didn't think there was anything
official.

> >  There is no  need to port a webserver, gcl has really
> > excellent integration with C. I would suspect that you
> > could interface with apache's mod_c very easily if
> > mod_lisp didn't work.

Back in the 90s, I wrote an HTTP server using the C interface
for sockets and select.  It's part of O-Plan (an AI planner),
used to provide a web-browser interface.  I don't think it's
too hard to do, but it would depend on how sophisticated a
server you needed.

-- Jeff