gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] faster factorial

From: Richard Fateman
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] faster factorial
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:55:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Camm Maguire" <address@hidden>
To: "Richard Fateman" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Maxima] faster factorial

Greetings!

Richard Fateman <address@hidden> writes:

I have another program that is about twice as fast as k.
The code is much longer, and also produces an array of bits
with 1 at the position of prime numbers
up to n/2, but it uses code from commercial Macsyma.
The mpz_fac_ui code may be faster in GMP 4.2. I am guessing
your test used GMP 4.1.14 or so.

Good guess -- 4.1.4.  Do you have specific reason to suspect
improvements in 4.2?
Yes, I found some GMP-related email saying that someone
Paul Zimmermann, I think, put a better factorial in GMP,
first available in 4.2.