gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] SMB browsing crash

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] SMB browsing crash
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:59:05 +0100

I thought about what the error popup 'Is the module installed ?' means.
I examined nautilus and gnome-vfs for 'moldules', and found that there is a
debian "libgnome-vfs-extra" package which is is no 'must' dependency, in debian
unstable...this onre, howevedr,  is the library which contains the smb modules.
AKA libgnomevfs2-extra.

I made a test and installed nautilus on a client host, but no gnome-vfs-extra.
It turns out that Nautilus can't browse the network, and connecting to
server/share directly via 'File' -> 'Connect' sends nautilus > /dev/null.
Definitely a bug. And not even a hit on the firewall, as noted before.
Then i installed gnome-vfs-extra. Guess what ? It can detect the windows
network now, and i can open the shares. This is about gnome  2.14.

We should consider that the vfs-extra module is just not installed on
the victims computers, for whatever (upgrade?) reason.