gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] [FIX] problem #567506 (slow startup for systems with many

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] [FIX] problem #567506 (slow startup for systems with many users)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:10:22 +0200

> > Unfortunately, for systems with lots of users (~40k) the startup
> > took quite a while (~1 min).

> You mean it's a recursive lookup ?

I suppose the tests were performed in system with network authentication
(like NIS+ or LDAP), thus the delay... Anyway there was no recursive
lookup in the previous code.

> It's another question why the column 'uid' and 'gid' has to resolve
> users, i think this could be a 'format' option

Do you mean that gcmd should display uid/gid information using format
depending on configuration (text/numerical) ? Personally I doubt there
will be lots of users viewing uid in numerical format. Maybe the Matrix
ones... ;o)

But yes, you're right - visibility of uid/gid columns should be
configurable. That, of course, will come with user defined columns.