gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Gcmd on GitHub Was: Re: Gcmd mailing lists

From: Uwe Scholz
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:24:44 +0100

Hi Michael and all,

to push the gcmd project page to gnome.org seems to be logical. On the
other hand, there were thoughts about to untie gnome commander from
GNOME (on the long term). I would therefore suggest to put the homepage
as well as the source code of gcmd on GitHub by now. I think, there are
several advantages to do so. But I also like the idea of a wiki page!

Actually, Thomas has already made a copy of the homepage and moved it to
GitHub (http://gcmd.github.io/), maybe we can also think of creating a
link like https://projects.gnome.org/gcmd to the actual web page?

Thomas also created the "gcmd" organization on GitHub. He invited me
with my GitHub account (https://github.com/turboscholz) =8-P to join the
gcmd. As far as I can see, new members with a GitHub account can easily
be added to the gcmd organization team...

He also gave me some really good links of tutorials pages of how to work
with git. For anyone interested I put them here below. I liked the
gitimmersion pages and was going through them on the last weekend... I'm
really not an expert now, but rather a little bit more confident in
working with git. ;-)

https://www.atlassian.com/git
http://gitimmersion.com/
http://try.github.io/
http://git-scm.com/book (reference book)

After cloning the git repository as explained on the gcmd homepage I
finally uploaded this repo to my GitHub account and moved (="converted")
it to the gcmd organization.

But after that, I realized that this way was probably not the best to
do. So I deleted the repo again and created a "fork" of the existing
gcmd repo from GNOME (https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-commander) inside
of the gcmd organization. As you can see here https://github.com/GNOME,
the GNOME people offer a mirror to their own git servers, which is very
convenient.

In this way, having a fork, we have a one-to-one copy of the existing
GNOME gcmd repo. I think this will make things easier, especially to
work together with the GNOME guys, because patches can be more easily
send to the official GNOME gcmd repo (as far as I understood).

Because I created a fork, the gcmd/gnome-commander repo is not found on
the GitHub page when you search for "gnome-commander". You have to visit
https://github.com/gcmd/gnome-commander at your own. You can clone this
fork and switch to the stable branch by the command

git clone -b gcmd-1-2-8 https://github.com/gcmd/gnome-commander.git

Up to now, this repository is exactly the same as the repo from
GNOME. Of course, every change in "our" repo should and will be
discussed on this mailing list. Finally, all patches and new features
should be pushed to the GNOME repository. This would be my idea how we
should go on. Any suggestions? I would be glad to hear them! :)

Regards,
Uwe