gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Gnome-vfs to Gio/gvfs migration issues

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Gnome-vfs to Gio/gvfs migration issues
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:26:26 +0100

Hi Vlad,

Am Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:31:18 +0200 schrieb Vlad G.:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> I've just now seen your email.
> I am not up to speed with gio (I had one small try years ago[1]:) and
> can't promise anything other than that I am available to take a shot
> on helping with this.
>
> Tell me, do you already have started something, have some plans, can
> you hand me some separate task to test my rusty skills, or should I
> just begin adding the gio dependency and walk myself throught the
> code?

Thank you very much for your mail! That sounds like as if you have some
knowledge of gio, as far as I can see from your project giocommander.
Nice.

Up to now I did only some very basic things with gio like reading out
file information and print it to stdout. Nothing special. Unfortunately
I did not saved my work there, but it was only for a fist test,
nevertheless. After that, I had a look on how a file transfer would
work with gio and I stopped because this was beyond my skills at
this time.

If you would like to start with the migration I would maybe propose to
give it a try first with the internal file viewer (src/intviewer/). This
was how I started. Because it is just for opening files and reading
their content.

But this is just a gues and it is of curse totally up to you. Just walk
yourself through the code and have a look what you could do.

Would be great if you would find the time to help out here. Maybe we
can learn from you and together we can bring this project a step
further. :)

Best wishes
Uwe