gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Search window - save last used columns size

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Search window - save last used columns size
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 23:12:12 +0200

Hi,

Am Sun, 24 Mar 2019 21:28:44 -0500 schrieb address@hidden:

> Hello all,
> Something I noticed (least in Mint 18.1) in Search window, the last
> adjusted column widths aren't saved.
> AFAIK, there are no Search window settings in dconf, but Main window
> has them?

True, the width of the columns in the search window are not stored
separately. They are always taken from the original column width,
which is stored for the main window of Gnome Commander.

> Also, the Search window often needs to be fairly big, to be able to
> scan down the directory column (no tooltips). emoticon crying
> Every session, the Search columns need resizing.

I'll try to implement this feature in the next releases. Let's see what
I can do.

> Neither main window or Search will move to background when other
> window is clicked - which is made worse by the
> Search window having no minimize or maximize button or context
> options. It gets old dragging the Search window to the bottom, then
> back up, then...
>
> I assume that's because Search is treated like a popup? not a separate
> window, so the Main window won't move to front & Search to the back,
> as long as Search is open?  All of these small things combined make
> it a lot less productive (for me).

Yes, this is also true. I don't know why this behavior was actually
implemented like this, but I see pros and cons for having it:

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-transient-for

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-commander/commit/f4ea46d541e5d564bdcf76b3b9de17dc6622ceb3

I can think of making this an optional setting where the user can
decide if he wants the search window to be transient / if it can be
minimized or not.

Should be not that complicated...

> Thanks for any help.

Best