gdb-discuss

[Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations

From: Benjamin Kosnik
Subject: [Gdbheads] Steering Committee nominations
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:25:10 -0600

In:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gdbheads/2004-02/msg00035.html

Ian states:
I propose that we form a new gdb steering committee.  We should gather
names on this mailing list.  We should propose the new set of names to
the FSF.  If the FSF accepts the new steering committee, then that
committee will then take responsibility for listening to the problems
being reported by some of the gdb maintainers, and take responsibility
for resolving them.

I propose that anybody who accepts membership on the steering
committee should agree to the following general ground rules:

1) the steering committee exists to further the goals of the GNU
   project as defined by the FSF
2) gdb proper is under the GPL and is copyright by the FSF
3) the committee is responsible for making major decisions in the best
   interests of gdb and the GNU project
4) when the gdb maintainers can not agree, the committee is
   responsible for resolving problems
5) all committee members agree to follow relevant discussions, to help
   resolve problems, and to vote on issues when necessary

I propose that the steering committee specifically try to include
representatives from the different communities which gdb serves.
Those communities include, off the top of my head:
* current gdb maintainers
* GNU/Linux, including kernel developers
* other free operating systems
* embedded users
* c++ developers
* java developers
* ada developers
* the Eclipse community
* developers of very large programs
* developers of threaded or otherwise concurrent programs
I'm sure there are more which I'm not considering.  We won't get
people from all of those communities, of course.

This business is past due. I'm grateful to Ian for his efforts at
improving the gdb development process.

In support of his proposal, I nominate the following people for the GDB
Steering Committee. (And am assuming other nominations will be
forthcoming.) I have no indication that these people would consider this
position, but will let them respond or suggest alternatives.

* other free operating systems
   Jim Ingham <jingham at apple dot com>

* embedded users
  Daniel Jacobowitz
  David Carlton?
  Ian Lance Taylor <ian at wasabisystems dot com>

* c++ developers
  Jason Merrill
  Benjamin Kosnik
  Daniel Jacobowitz
  David Carlton
  Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin dot org>
  Devang Patel <dpatel at apple dot com>
  Matt Austern <austern at apple dot com>

* java developers
   Tom Tromey

* c developers
   Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>

best,
benjamin