gdb-discuss

[Gdb-discuss] Query on tracepoint usage

From: Rajan Ravindran
Subject: [Gdb-discuss] Query on tracepoint usage
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:03:27 +0530

Hi,
I am trying to get the tracedump of all local variables in a function using the gdb tracepoint functionality.
Here are the steps I followed

Started gdbserver on port 1234 ("test" is an executable)

address@hidden test]$ gdbserver :1234 ./test
Process ./test created; pid = 17004
Remote debugging from host 127.0.0.1

in another terminal started gdb

address@hidden test]$ gdb test
GNU gdb 5.3
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) target remote :1234
Remote debugging using :1234
0x40000be0 in ?? ()
(gdb) trace *myfunc           (setting trace for myfunc function)
Tracepoint 1 at 0x8048328: file test.c, line 1.
(gdb) actions
Enter actions for tracepoint 1, one per line.
End with a line saying just "end".
> collect $locals             (collect the local variables)
> end
(gdb) tstart                  (trace start)
Target does not support this command.
(gdb)

tstart giving this error message (Target does not support this command). I am trying this on Redhat 9 (i386), gdb 5.3 version. Here are my observations when I looked the source code of gdb 5.3. There exist a function trace_start_command which calls putpkt("QTinit") and in the gdbserver code this packet "QTinit" is getting parsed. In the server side the packet "Q" handling function does not exist... which inturn makes it to throw the above said message.

Am I doing something wrong here or the tracing support is not there on that version of gdb. Please do advice me in fixing this issue.

Thanks a lot,
Rajan