gdb

Re: [Gdb] Michael C -- one more time

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain
Subject: Re: [Gdb] Michael C -- one more time
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:37:30 -0600

You can control where the 'make' binaries get installed by
configuring the 'make' package with:

  configure --prefix=/.../.../...

After you build Gnu Make, you have to install it with
'make install', and it will copy the files to the --prefix location.
You didn't do 'make install', so your new Gnu Make is not installed
anywhere yet.

This works for all Gnu packages.

After you do 'make install' for Gnu Make, you can type
/.../.../.../bin/make to run Gnu Make, or add that location to $PATH.

> Would you mind looking one more time to see if you can detect my error?
> Is it a problem with the "make" I used?

The problem is a lack of 'ar' (archiver):

  ar rc libiberty.a \
    regex.o cplus-dem.o cp-demangle.o md5.o alloca.o argv.o choose-temp.o
concat.o dyn-string.o fdmatch.o fibheap.o floatformat.o fnmatch.o getopt.o
getopt1.o getpwd.o getruntime.o hashtab.o hex.o lbasename.o make-temp-file.o
objalloc.o obstack.o partition.o pexecute.o safe-ctype.o sort.o spaces.o
splay-tree.o strerror.o strsignal.o ternary.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o
xmemdup.o xstrdup.o xstrerror.o asprintf.o mkstemps.o setenv.o sigsetmask.o
vasprintf.o
  sh: ar: not found
  *** Error code 1
  make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libiberty.a'

If you don't have an 'ar' command already, then you can get the
Gnu Binutils, build them, and install them.

Let me recap:

  The normal bootstrap order for this stuff is:

    Gnu Make
    Gnu Binutils
    GCC
    GDB

  The normal way to build things is to use separate trees:
  source and install.  Something like this:

    /.../.../gnu
      INSTALL/
      make-3.79.1/
      binutils-2.13.2.1/
      gcc-3.2.2/
      gdb-5.3/

  Add /.../.../gnu/INSTALL/bin to your $PATH.

  In each source directory:

    ./configure --prefix=/.../.../INSTALL
    make
    make install

  If you already have a gcc, which you do, then you don't need to build
  gcc again.  But you definitely need an 'ar' and that is part of
  binutils.  You can also use Sun's version of 'ar' but it looks like
  you don't have that installed.

> Thanks very much for your help....

Hey, you're welcome.

Michael C