gdb

[Gdb] Privileged Instruction Program Interrupt

From: Devaughn, Hans
Subject: [Gdb] Privileged Instruction Program Interrupt
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 05:51:00 -0800

When I try to simulate an embedded application program, built for the PowerPC, I get a Program Interrupt, Privileged Instruction. The instruction that causes the exception is a Move to Machine Status Register (MSR), (mtmsr). When I display the MSR, before executing, it is set to 0x2900. This value, in the MSR, has the Privilege Level (PL) equal to zero (processor can execute both user and supervisor level instructions).

Could anyone help? Thanks in advance

Hans