gdb

[Gdb] Re: stepping problem with sh4, gdbserver

From: peter garrone
Subject: [Gdb] Re: stepping problem with sh4, gdbserver
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:27:53 +0800

I made some errors due to fact the copy of gdb was optimised. apologies.
The break PC for the prior run of handle_inferior_event was assumed to be the
current runs value.

> Hi,
>   While debugging remotely with gdbserver and stepping the gdb
> (6.3) test program "break.c" at line 96, the "next" command causes
> a segfault at frame.c line 1244 (frame->next != NULL) because frame
> is null. The relevant backtrace is:
>
> get_frame_pc(frame = 0)  frame.c:1244
> insert_step_resume_breakpoint_at_frame(return_frame=0) infrun.c:2670
> handle_inferior_event infrun.c:2449
> wait_for_inferior infrun.c:991
>
> Tracing the execution of gdb itself, handle_inferior_event is
> invoked
when the target hits a break at the subroutine, whereopon gdb sets a break at
the subroutine return point.
When it hits this return point break, it appears to erroneously pass the
frame_id_eq test at infrun.c:2285
The data passed to frame_id_eq is identical to the previous invocation when gdb
was servicing the break within the subroutine.
According to the block comment, it is only entered when a subroutine is
debugged, so I assume this is an error.

So gdb appears to be mistakenly assuming that it is in a subroutine when in
fact it has returned.