gdb

Accessing DSO binary code when debugging core dump

From: Roman Green
Subject: Accessing DSO binary code when debugging core dump
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:18:21 +0300

Hello,

Is it possible in GDB to view a shared library (DSO) machine code when debugging a core dump? I am running GDB 6.8 on 32-bit ArchLinux (kernel 2.6.27).

When I specify the main executable (with file command) and then do sharedlibrary, I receive the following warning (what does it mean by the way?):
Can't read pathname for load map: I/O error.

Debug symbols for DSOs are loaded successfully and I can inspect thread call stacks, local vars etc. But an attempt to access any DSO function binary code (disassemble, x etc) fails wth error:
Cannot access memory at address <...>

However I have no problem accessing binary code in the main executable!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Roman