geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Errors in printed and Info references in the Geiser m

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Errors in printed and Info references in the Geiser manual
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 12:54:09 -0500

> In some cases, the Texinfo code might be fixed by changing uses of
the
> @ref macro with the @xref or @pxref macro (See the node (texinfo)
> Cross references).  In other cases, the sentence will need to be
> rewritten in order to make the generated Info text grammatical.
(I'm
> not sure that the goal of making the HTML links into readable text
can
> be made compatible with the requirements of the TeX (printed) and
Info
> versions.)

You're probably right; i'll use a macro that will use internally an
@ifhtml conditional to decide what argument to insert. This will take
bit of time, but it'll be well spent time.

The on-line HTML for the Emacs manual appears to use the 'See ...' form
most of the time for its cross references, as does the on-line HTML for the
Emacs Lisp manual:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Basic.html#Basic
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Lisp-Data-Types.html#Lisp-Data-Types

One of the problems in the Geiser Info text is that Emacs is confused by the cross-references that it finds and doesn't fill paragraphs properly. There are large gaps, with lines only half or two-thirds filled, and this appears only in paragraphs that have cross-references. The raw Info file
is not flawed -- I think that this is a case of the unusual
cross-referencing being an area that has not been tested, that is, it is an
error in the Emacs paragraph-filling algorithm.

typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare. - Blair Houghton.