geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Macro stepper?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Macro stepper?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:45:40 +0200

Hi Dmitry,

On Thu, Oct 27 2011, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently started to program in Racket, and I like Geiser very much.
> However, there is a feature DrRacket has that I miss in Geiser: the
> Macro Stepper.

Unfortunately, the stepper is not yet integrated.  I have plans to
integrate it, though.  A first step will be to base Geiser's interaction
with Racket on Eli's xrepl module, which already offers a stepper in the
text REPL.  Once that is working, it'll be time to add a better Emacs
interface....  But you'll have to be patient, submit patches or both :)

> I have a custom (non-sexp) language, for which I provide #lang mylang
> declaration in my module. Compilation works well, but I actually
> need to see how the code in my language expands into Racket macro
> forms. DrRacket's "Macro Stepper" button does that perfectly.
> Is there something similar for Geiser?
>
> I tried to select the entire buffer and perform Geiser's
> "macroexpand region", but it does not work, saying:
>
>   Error: retort-syntax
>
>   UNKNOWN::19310: read: #lang not enabled in the current context

Try selecting the lines _after_ this line.  You can also try with
individual definitions first to see if they work (you'll need to compile
the file first (C-c C-k) so that Racket knows about it).  The macro
expansions should take place in the context of your #lang, modulo bugs.

Hope this helps,
jao
--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to
achieve it through not dying" -- Woody Allen