geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Using SRFI info rather than RSR6 info

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Using SRFI info rather than RSR6 info
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 06:46:50 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 09 2012, Mark Skilbeck wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> When using geiser-doc-look-up-manual on the symbol
> define-record-syntax,

(I assume you mean define-record-type)

> Geiser opens up the info file for the R6RS implementation of records,
> rather than the SRFI-9 info. A simple grep shows that the
> documentation *does* exist in the guile.info file for SRFI-9. Is this
> expected behaviour? I assumed Geiser would lookup the info for the
> symbol with-respect-to the currently used modules.

No... to look up for the requested symbol, Geiser uses Emacs's
info-lookup-symbol, which takes a single symbol and looks for it in the
respective info file indexes.  That (elisp) function knows nothing about
modules (or scheme, for that matter), and doesn't provide any way to
disambiguate.

In this case, it happens that, of the two indexed references to
define-record-type, the one in R6RS appears first, and
info-lookup-symbol goes there (you can check by running it independently
of Geiser with C-h S, which also works for other modes).

AFAIK, Guile doesn't provide built-in info lookup (which, if it were
module-aware, could be used by Geiser for better results)... but maybe
i'm wrong?

Cheers,
jao
--
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,