geiser-users

[Geiser-users] Using multiple REPLs from elisp

From: Michael Gauland
Subject: [Geiser-users] Using multiple REPLs from elisp
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 01:26:26 +0000 (UTC)

I've been working on using geiser to support scheme in org-babel, and could use
some advice. I've been successful and getting geiser to execute a code block,
but run into trouble supporting mulitple sessions.

In case you're not familiar with babel, it provides a mechanism to evaluate
blocks of code within an org file. Each block can optionally specify a 'session'
in which to be evaluated. This is more efficient, as the interpreter does not
need to be re-started for every block, and also allows state to be preserved
from one block to the next. Using multiple session names in one file is allowed.

The first time a session is used, my implementation creates a REPL by calling
'run-geiser'. I rename the buffer based on the session name, and store the
session name and buffer name in a hash.

The next time a session is used, I get the corresponding buffer from the hash,
and try to execute the scheme block in that session. Unfortunately, I always
seem to run in the last REPL that I created.

I've tried a variety of approaches, mostly using 'switch-to-geiser', sometimes
setting different 'geiser-repl...' variables first.

Any advice on solving this would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Mike Gauland