geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] geiser and quack?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] geiser and quack?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:56:05 +0100

On Sat, Mar 23 2013, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:

> In your docs, you say we should have (require 'quack) after
> geiser. But I don't have any sort of (require 'geiser) in my
> .emacs. Should I? I installed with elpa.

No, it's not needed.  The best way of requiring quack after geiser would
be something like:

   (eval-after-load "geiser" '(require quack))

although if you use quack from elpa too, the loading order is going to
be whatever elpa uses (i'd have to check what that order is; with any
luck it'll be alphabetical and then we're done.)

> Also, what's the best practice to stay up on the latest geiser if I've
> used elpa initially to install geiser?

I think geiser is stable enough to be followed via elpa: i take care of
releasing to marmalade every new release, and to release whenever
there'is anything new interesting enough or a critical fix.

If you want to follow the latest minute changes, having a local clone of
the git repo and loading geiser directly from there should work too (but
then i'd just remove the elpa package, to avoid conflicts).

HTH,
jao
--
Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be
taught not to. So it is with great programmers.