geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Automatic startup/shutdown of REPL processes

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Automatic startup/shutdown of REPL processes
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:08:43 +0200

On Thu, Apr 11 2013, Reuben Thomas wrote:

> On 11 April 2013 12:32, Reuben Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     On 11 April 2013 06:26, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Apr 09 2013, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>
>         [...]
>
>         > I've also used the bit of code you suggested to auto-run the REPL in
>         > geiser-mode-hook. Again, unless there's an obvious reason not to,
> it'd
>         > be great if that were the default.
>
>         I've just pushed a patch that adds a new customization variable,
>         geiser-mode-start-repl-p, that activates auto-run.  When set to t,
>         Geiser starts the REPL upon entering geiser-mode if there's no one
>         active.  However, the flag is off by default, because i think that
>         starting external processes without user intervention is better done
>         only if the user asks for it.
>
>     Thanks so much, that's brilliant.
>
> There's just one problem: when the REPL starts up, a new window is
> opened. The buffer is then buried. This means that if Emacs starts up
> with a buffer that requires a REPL, it starts up with two windows
> instead of (normally) one. It's not a big deal, but it's a little
> offputting. Is it possible to make the REPL creation happen entirely
> "in the background" when it's caused non-interactively?

Not easily given the current implementation.  I've pushed a patch that
shows the REPL starting up and then hides the buffer.  Please try it and
let me know what you think: it's kind of ugly, i think.  To do this
properly the buffer should pop-up if there's an error starting the REPL,
but that's again harder to implement.  And then all this is a bit
against the grain of Geiser's philosophy as a REPL-centric world with
long time living emacs and scheme processes, rather than something that
one starts and closes frequently.

Thoughts?

jao
--
Always have a vision. Why spend your life making other people’s dreams?
 -Orson Welles (1915-1985)