geiser-users

[Geiser-users] interesting behavior of Racket' s (time-apply …) with Gei

From: Vlad Kozin
Subject: [Geiser-users] interesting behavior of Racket' s (time-apply …) with Geiser
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:31:34 -0400

Hi. I'm just copy-pasting from the letter I wrote to the Racket list.

Just a bunch of reverse-string solutions. Try running test-reverse-string.rkt in you Geiser repl if you want to replicate.

Mostly a question to Jay McCarthy but I suppose could be interesting to others. Was going over his Reversing strings article. Somehow I get weird performance. Slowest solution turns out fastest, medium, fast and really fast are only marginally different.

Could anyone have a look https://github.com/vkz/warm-up
reverse-string.rkt has the solutions
test-reverse-string.rkt does the performance check
Testing it on 40'000 randomly generated strings 1000 chars each.

Oh, wow. So I was testing this in Geiser repl in emacs:
(2467 4631 4088 3934) Where apparently "slower" one wins

But in DrRacket the result looks plausible:
(8994 1859 1094 865)

Does that mean Geiser shouldn't be trusted?

Restarting the repl and running from the clean slate doesn't help. Shows plausible results in DrRacket and correct results when run in command line.

---
Vlad Kozin <address@hidden>