geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Feature request: preserve point in geiser-set-scheme

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Feature request: preserve point in geiser-set-scheme
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 02:44:35 +0100

On Tue, Nov 21 2017, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Hi, I'm still getting the same behavior after trying a few different
> things:
>
> - I installed commit c3bc099.
> - I tried other schemes when running geiser-set-scheme
> - I tried running emacs with -nw -q and running (require 'geiser-
> install) manually, to avoid complications from my .emacs file.
> - I tried creating a new file and putting a few toy expressions in it,
> but no actual define statements.
>
> I all cases, running geiser-set-scheme jumps to just after the first
> parenthesis of the last top-level expression.
>
> I am quite curious what would happen if I switched to emacs-25, but I
> wasn't sure if it was worth it to me to go to the trouble of compiling
> and installing a whole new version of emacs. What emacs are you
> running?

i've tried with emacs 25 and the current emacs 26 candidate... that
might be the cause (sorry, i had misread your emacs version in your
previous email)... i'm not really sure it'll fix the problem, but maybe
it does.  for the record, telling geiser-set-scheme to preserve the
point no matter what should be just a matter of evaluating this
definition after you've loaded geiser:

  (defun geiser-set-scheme ()
    "Associates current buffer with a given Scheme implementation."
    (save-excursion
      (interactive)
      (geiser-syntax--remove-kws)
      (let ((impl (geiser-impl--read-impl)))
        (geiser-impl--set-buffer-implementation impl)
        (geiser-repl--set-up-repl impl)
        (geiser-syntax--add-kws)
        (geiser-syntax--fontify))))

the only thing i've changed is wrapping the function's body with
`save-excursion`... if that didn't work, i'd be kind of surprised!

cheers,
jao
--
Purely applicative languages are poorly applicable.
  - Alan Perlis, Epigrams on Programming